Want a quick "win" for your organizing game? Bonus points for you because you can also brag to your friends about how you don't have a "junk drawer." Thirty minutes & about $6 are all you need for this one.
Optional Pre-work: 🤓 Measure your junk drawer so you have an idea of how many/what size storage bins to buy. If not, no worries. Who can't use a few more storage things around the house?
1. Buy said storage bins. The ones pictured are from Dollar Tree because, hey, they're in a drawer. However, in my office, I use prettier, more expensive ones because I'm fancy like that. 💎
2. Empty your junk drawer & discover long-forgotten treasures. 👑 Throw things away when you can't remember what they belong to. Go put those things out in the garage that should be there. Throw away old batteries, bad pens & other junk.
3. Decide how to arrange storage bins inside the drawer. It's fun--like putting together a puzzle. It goes much faster if you did the pre-work. 😉
4. This works best if the bins fill the entire drawer. Otherwise, they move around during opening/closing. If there is empty space left over, you can use putty or something similar on the bottom of the bins to secure them inside the drawer. I used this.
5. Important step: LABEL the bins so there is never any question as to where things belong. How dare you put pens in the CLEARLY LABELED bin marked keys?? If you have a Label Maker, this is a great time to use it. If not, you can improvise by using whatever blank labels you have or even just writing directly on the bin with a good ol' Sharpie.
6. Put the remaining items (hopefully you've gotten rid of some of the "junk") in the appropriate bins.
7. Grab your favorite beverage & admire your handiwork. You worked hard today!